So, if I do say so myself, I’m rather happy with how these little cupcakes turned out! I used only wholegrain, plant-based ingredients, replacing white flour for whole wheat, sugar for coconut sugar and milk for coconut milk. These vanilla beetroot cupcakes will even provide you with 1 of your 5-a-day. Being that I love coconut, I whipped up some vegan coconut icing to compliment the flavours in the cupcakes and they went down a treat!
Health benefits of beetroot:
- Beets contain nutrients that protect cells and enzymes from environmental stress.
- They are high in vitamin C, helping to boost your immune system.
- They also provide essential vitamins such as, fibre, potassium and B vitamin folate.
Ingredients (makes 6. Double up on ingredients to make 12)
- 3 cooked beets
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 a cup of coconut sugar
- 1/4 of a cup of melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3 cups of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoons of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius and line a cupcake tin with cupcake holders.
- In a bowl, combine the whole wheat flour with the coconut sugar and baking powder.
- Using a blender, combine the beets, coconut oil, coconut milk and vanilla. Once blended, add to the bowl of dry ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into the cases, ready to put in the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes and allow to cool completely before icing them.
- Beat all the ingredients until you achieve a smooth consistency. Keep refrigerated until the cupcakes are ready to be iced.
- Dust with cocoa powder (optional).