Hi Guys! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Now I know I have promised more savoury recipes for your lunch and dinners (they are to come) but I HAD to share this matcha bread recipe that I have developed, because it is just delicious! It really is the best matcha bread! Sweetened with bananas and honey and topped with creamy cashew matcha icing, if you love matcha you’ll love this bread! To make up the base of the recipe I used ground almonds and oat flour as well as a scoop of banana protein powder so it is a good source of slow releasing carbs and protein. A healthy way of snacking is to snack on foods that are good sources of carbs and protein so bake this bread at the start of the week and you’ve got your healthy snack covered!
Matcha- extremely rich in antioxidants which fight against free radicals. It may also enhance your mood with its caffeine release.
Almonds– good source of vitamin E, magnesium, copper and high quality protein. They are also a good source of healthy fats.
Bananas– great source of essential vitamins and minerals such as potassium, manganese, niacin, folate, iron, riboflavin and vitamin B6.
Ghee butter– rich in vitamins A, D and E. The one I use is also a good source of omega 3.
- 3 eggs (can use flaxseed eggs for vegan option)
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 scoop of banana protein powder
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp melted ghee butter
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2-3 hours and rinsed
- 2 tbsp of melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp of raw honey
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- 1tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of water
- 1 tsp of matcha powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a bread tin tray with baking paper or grease with coconut oil or butter.
- In a bowl, combine the oat flour, ground almonds, protein powder and baking powder.
- Mash your bananas and add them to the bowl. Then add the eggs, milk, honey, vanilla and melted ghee butter. Mix with a spoon until the mixture is combined.
- Separate the mixture evenly into two separate bowls.
- Add your matcha powder to one of the mixtures only and mix well until the mix is a green tea colour.
- Transfer the mixture from each bowl in turn, building up a marble like pattern.
- Continue to layer the tin in this way until you have used up both mixtures.
- Bake in the oven for around 35 minutes (until knife comes out clean).
- Allow to cool completely before icing your bread.
To make the icing
- Combine all ingredients and blend in a food processor or vitamix until smooth.
- Allow to cool in freezer for at least one hour in order for it to thicken.
- Spread the icing evenly over the bread and enjoy!
- (I finished the bread off by sprinkling some icing sugar over the icing to make it look pretty).
Enjoy! If you love this matcha bread recipe you may also enjoy my marble bread recipe.
You can see more of my sweet and savoury recipes that are uploaded daily to my instagram page!