Packed full of protein, this tempeh bolognese is the perfect topping to pasta, rice or jacket potatoes!
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 300g mushrooms, chopped
- 250g tempeh, cut into small cubes or crumbled
- 600g tinned tomatoes (1½ cans)
- 25g fresh basil, chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tsp marmite
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil and cook the onion and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add in the carrots and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook for a further 5-7 minutes
- Meanwhile, add the other tbsp of oil to a medium sized pan and cook the tempeh over a medium heat. Add the soy sauce to the tempeh for flavour and cook until browned.
- Reduce the heat on the vegetable mixture and add the cooked tempeh to this, along with the tinned tomatoes and marmite.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes until the tomatoes have slightly reduced.
- Stir in the fresh, chopped basil (set aside some for garnish) and taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve with your carbohydrate of choice and enjoy!