The perfect brunch (or dinner) for when you fancy something savoury that comes together in less than 20 minutes.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp harissa paste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley, chopped
- In a medium saucepan/skillet add the olive oil and saute the onions on a low heat for a few minutes before adding the crushed garlic.
- Cook the garlic for another minute before adding in the harissa paste, spices and tinned tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Let this simmer on a low heat for 5 or so minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Make 4 wells in the tomato sauce around the edge of the pan and crack each egg into a well.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and cook the eggs for about 5 minutes (or until the whites have just solidified).
- Garnish with chopped parsley, more salt and pepper and it’s ready to serve.
- Enjoy with crusty bread or warm fluffy pita and serve with a chopped salad and a drizzle of tahini.
Overnight oats are a fabulous breakfast to prep the night before so you have something nutritious to wake up to that requires simply opening the fridge! And these flavours are just divine…
- 50g oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 250ml milk of choice (I used oat)
- 1 tbsp coconut yoghurt
- 1 tsp peanut butter
- A handful of frozen blueberries
- Desiccated coconut
- Blueberry compote
- Sliced banana
- More peanut butter
- Place the oats in a bowl or jar and mix with the chia seeds and cinnamon.
- Add in the milk, yoghurt and peanut butter and mix together.
- Add the frozen blueberries last, mix gently and cover in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to eat, gently warm some frozen blueberries in the microwave for the topping.
- Add this on top of your bowl alongside the peanut butter, sliced banana and desiccated coconut and enjoy!
An easy savoury, vegan breakfast option that comes together in no time!
- 200 g firm tofu
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6-7 Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Handful of spinach, chopped
- 60 ml milk of choice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Black pepper
- Salt (optional: use kala namak for an ‘eggy’ flavour)
- 1 tbsp oil
- To serve: bread (I used sourdough), sliced avocado, lime
Method (serves 2)
- In a pan over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic in oil for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the milk, nutritional yeast, cumin, turmeric and black pepper in a jug and set aside.
- Crumble the tofu with your hands or a fork directly into the pan and then add the milk mixture.
- Mix together and cook until the tofu absorbs the liquid.
- Finally add the spinach and season with salt to taste.
- Serve on toast with sliced avocado and a squeeze of lime.
If you haven’t tried a sweet, sweet potato then you are missing out! Cook one in the oven the night before and load it up for breakfast!
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- A sprinkle of mixed seeds
- A handful of fresh or frozen blueberries
- A few pieces of dried or fresh pineapple
- A drizzle of maple syrup or honey
- Cook the sweet potato for 1 hour in the oven at 180 degrees celsius (until soft).
- Slice open and place in a bowl and add all your toppings! Can be enjoyed hot or cold.