Hey guys! I am SO excited about these raw coconut-lime vegan balls! I was initially going to do lemon with the coconut but I didn’t have any in the fridge- but I did have limes! So I worked off a few of my other similar recipes to develop these deliciously nutritious vegan balls! They are perfectly zesty and totally healthy! If you haven’t tried any of my other recipes yet- I would make these your first! I also added fresh lime juice to the dark chocolate so these really do taste lovely and refreshing! Perfect for the Spring/Summer weather we have recently been having 🙂
I still plan on making these again- next time with lemons, so switch up the flavours if you would prefer fresh lemon tasting healthy treats as they are equally high in antioxidants- and extremely alkalising for the body. These are made with 100% plant-based ingredients. You can buy vegan chocolate if not in the shops then off the internet very easily. Of course this is optional if you are not a strict vegan you can use any organic dark chocolate of your choice 🙂 Remember that the higher percentage of cacao- the high the amount of antioxidants it contains.
Ingredients (makes 12)
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1/4 of a cup of buckwheat flour
- 1/4 of a cup of desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/2 of a cup of agave
- 1 fresh lime
- 50g of 85% vegan dark chocolate
- In a bowl, mix the agave into the coconut flour, until you reach a paste like mixture. Then stir in the melted coconut oil and desiccated coconut.
- Grate the lime for its zest, and set aside. Cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice into the mixture. The ingredients should be runny yet well combined.
- Then add the buckwheat flour. Fold it in well and should start to achieve a dough like consistency.
- Roll the mix into 12 evenly sized balls, and leave to cool in the fridge for up to an hour.
- Whilst the balls are chilling, melt the dark chocolate. Once melted, squeeze the juice from the other half of the lime, into the bowl of melted chocolate. Mix in well, and you will notice that the chocolate will start to form a thicker consistency.
- Remove the chilled balls from the fridge. Using a knife, spread small amounts of the lime infused chocolate on top of each raw ball (see pictures).
- Once they are all topped with chocolate, you can sprinkle the lime zest on top, then leave to cool for another hour in the fridge.
- These coconut and lime vegan balls will last up to 5 days in the fridge.
These zesty treats are perfect for an after-dinner healthy snack; also great for keeping in the fridge and snacking on throughout the week! They are also not too ‘moreish’ because they leave such a refreshing taste in your mouth; just one will leave you feeling satisfied, so they are perfect for a ‘sweet treat’ fix!