Happy weekend everyone! After being away all week I’m very pleased to be back in the kitchen trying out and developing new recipes! I decided to take some time to finally perfect these healthy(ish) vegan bounty treats. The reason why I have labelled them ‘healthyish’ is because, although I have used nutritious ingredients, you only need small amounts of them to obtain the nourishing health benefits. I’m talking about the healthy fats- you can read more about these types of fat in a blog post I wrote here.
So this recipe is something I have been trying to get right for a while and didn’t want to post them until I was completely happy with the way that they tasted. It was a challenge to get the consistency I desired as I wanted to achieve a soft textured inside, however I still needed the mixture to be hard enough to mould.
So after a fair amount of trial and error… here you have it- dark chocolate vegan bounty bars.
These delicious healthy snacks are naturally filled with a dreamy flavour, purely achieved through the ingredients I chose to use- you can see the benefits of coconut oil here.
Ingredients (makes 8-10)
- 1/4 cup of coconut flour
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dsiccated coconut (plus extra for decoration)
- 150g of dark chocolate (I used 90% cacao)
- In a bowl, mix together the coconut flour, dessicated coconut and milk- I used a wooden spoon to gently beat it.
- Add the maple syrup and the coconut oil. Then mix in the oil until it starts to merge together.
- Gradually take out parts of the mixture, and mould 8-10 bars- this is easier if you use slightly wet hands. If you find it difficult to put together, then just smooth over the creases with water and they will mould nicely.
- Leave the bars to cooling on baking paper in the fridge.
- Whilst they’re in the fridge, melt the dark chocolate, ready to dip the bars in. It is easy to use a tool that doesn’t mean getting messy (see picture above).
- Once all covered- leave them to cool for up to 2 hours and then enjoy!
These are great for keeping in the fridge and eating to satisfy your sweet tooth craving! They will last up to 5 days in the fridge.