As well as being lovely and indulgent, these little cupcakes are actually rather healthy (in moderation of course), made with the healthiest plant-based ingredients I could find! Everyone loves giving into chocolate over Christmas, but why not try a healthier alternative…
Ingredients (makes 16)
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1 cup of cacao powder (you can use cocoa powder for a cheaper alternative)
- 1 cup of soya milk
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
For the icing
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- 1/4 cup of coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line 16 cupcakes cases (you may have to cook them in batches).
- In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and cacao powder.
- In a separate bowl, combine the soya milk, coconut milk, coconut oil, vanilla essence and apple cider vinegar.
- Gradually pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture until combined. Then mix in the desiccated coconut.
- Divide the mixture equally into the prepared cupcake cases.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before icing.
For the icing
- Mix the coconut milk, gradually adding the icing sugar until you reach desired consistency.