I am super excited to share this recipe with you all! I haven’t done proper baking in a while so I really enjoyed developing the recipe for these chocolate coconut cupcakes. Although a little biased, I can confidently tell you that they honestly do taste AHMAZING! You can also make them vegan by substituting the egg for another flaxseed egg.
Not that I am against using sugar, as many of my other sweet recipes include it, but for these I played around with xylitol as a sweetener instead and they turned out really nicely.
Ingredients (makes 6)
- 100g (approx 1 cup) oat flour
- 50g (1/2 cup) ground almonds
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 50g (1/4 cup) Xylitol
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of flaxseed plus 3 tbsp water
- 125g coconut yoghurt
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) almond milk
- 70g dark chocolate chips
For the chocolate ganache frosting
- 80g dark chocolate
- 80ml full fat coconut milk (the thick stuff!)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celsius and line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- Mix the flaxseed with the water in a cup and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the oat flour, ground almonds, cocoa powder, xylitol and baking powder.
- Add the flaxseed, egg, coconut yoghurt, coconut oil and vanilla essence and stir well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the mixture into the prepared cupcake cases evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting with the ganache.
- Melt the dark chocolate and add to the coconut milk, stirring well. Leave to cool in the fridge and frost the cupcakes once ready… Enjoy!
Tip: Best served with coconut yogurt and berries as a delicious dessert!