Get yourself in the autumn mood with this Apple Pie Porridge. It’s like having dessert for breakfast!
INGREDIENTS (for one):
- 40-60g rolled oats
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 tbsp flax seed
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Milk of choice
Optional Toppings peanut butter. yoghurt, pumpkin seeds, berries, granola
- Put half of the chopped apple into a small saucepan with a splash of hot water and some maple syrup. Cover with a lid and leave to simmer over a medium-low heat for 5 minutes until soft.
- Once the apples are soft, mash them into a smooth puree with a fork and add in your oats, flax seed, ½ tsp cinnamon, pinch of salt and enough milk or water to cover them.
- Cook over a medium-low heat, stirring occasionally and adding more liquid as necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, add in the other half of the chopped apple, ½ tsp cinnamon and about ½ tbsp of maple syrup.
- Cook until the apple chunks soften slightly and start to caramelise. Set aside.
- Once the oats are your desired consistency, pour into a bowl, top with the caramelised apples and any other toppings you like. See ingredients list for my recommendations!