These *slightly* healthier muffins make the perfect snack when you’re after a chocolatey, indulgent hit
INGREDIENTS (makes 12 muffins):
- 180g applesauce (about 1 large apple cooked down if you make your own)
- 60ml maple syrup
- 65g brown sugar
- 65g smooth peanut butter (plus extra to drizzle on top)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 120ml milk of choice
- 60g cocoa powder
- 160g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 80g chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate (plus a bit extra for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 190 C and line a muffin tray with 12 liners.
- Whisk together the applesauce, maple syrup, brown sugar, peanut butter and salt in a large bowl
- Add in the milk and give the mixture another mix.
- Sieve in the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix together with a spatula until everything is combined – be careful not to overmix, the mixture should be quite thick.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and scoop evenly into the muffin liners. Add a few more chocolate chips to the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 18 minutes (use a skewer or toothpick in the centre to check if they’re done – if it comes out clean, they’re ready!)
- Let them cool in the tray for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. Drizzle with more peanut butter if desired or enjoy as they are!