The perfect mid morning snack to keep you going until lunch time!
INGREDIENTS (makes 8 bars):
For the base:
- 140g rolled oats (separate 90g to blitz into oat flour in a blender or food processor)
- 40 ml maple syrup
- 40 ml coconut oil or margarine, melted
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
For the jam layer:
- 150g frozen blueberries
- 25 ml maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a baking dish
- Mix all of the ingredients for the base in the bowl until the mixture comes together. It should be quite a soft and sticky dough.
- Press about ¾ of the dough mixture into the baking dish using a spatula to make sure it’s smooth. The rest of the mixture will be used to crumble on top of the bars.
- Place this and the remainder of the dough in the fridge whilst you make the blueberry jam.
- Put all of the ingredients for the jam into a small saucepan and cook over a medium heat for about 3-5 minutes until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Begin to mash the blueberries with a fork and keep stirring to prevent the jam burning or sticking.
- Take off the heat and leave to thicken up for a few minutes.
- Once the jam mixture has slightly thickened, pour it on top of the base layer and crumble on the remaining oat mixture on top.
- Place in the oven for 35 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before placing it on a cooling rack. Wait at least 2 hours before cutting into squares so the bars have time to set.