Growing up, my Mum would always make these incredible casserole dishes that she would ‘pack full of goodness’! I was a very fussy eater growing up but I could always reply on my Mum’s heart casserole dish to help with my veggie intake! Now, I have decided to create my own recipe (inspired by hers of course) and share with you my signature veggie casserole! Carbs, protein, essentials fats, plenty of micronutrients – all packed into one dish!
As a little bit of nutrition information to go along with this recipe, I have listed some of the ingredients below with a bit about their nutritional value…
Butter beans – Good source of protein, dietary fibre, copper and manganese. They also contain folate, phosphorus, protein, potassium, vitamin B1, iron, magnesium and vitamin B6.
Chickpeas – Chickpeas also provide a variety of vitamins and minerals, as well as a good amount of fibre, protein and iron.
Lentils – Good source of folate, fibre, copper, phosphorus and manganese. Additionally they are a good source of iron, protein, vitamin B1, zinc, potassium and vitamin B6.
Onions – Onions are a natural source of the prebiotic inulin, which helps your body produce colon-protecting butyrate.
You’ll love this filling meal!
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 80g celeriac, chopped into small cubes
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 x 400g tinned tomatoes
- 250ml vegetable broth
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 400g can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large sweet potato cut into chunks
- 2 large parsnips cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 400g green lentils, rinsed well
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: a few basil leaves, chopped
- Pre heat the oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook a few minutes or until the onion becomes softened.
- Next stir in the paprika and cayenne pepper – cook for 30 seconds to a minute until spices are fragrant. Add the tinned tomatoes, broth, butter beans, chickpeas, celeriac, lentils, carrots, parsnips and sweet potato and salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes.