It is so nice to know how many of you love my porridge bowls and by popular demand I have written up the recipe for my protein chocolate porridge bowl! Now particularly in the Winter months, I just find it so warm and comforting to start my day with a lovely indulgent breakfast bowl that is also a very healthy breakfast to get you going in the morning!
Oats are an excellent source of complex carbohydrates which means they are slow releasing carbs that will keep your blood sugar levels balanced throughout the morning. I add protein powder to my porridge bowls because they keep you fuller for so much longer; so if I know I have a busy morning ahead and may not have time to eat until lunch time – I always opt for a protein porridge bowl!
In addition to the chocolate protein powder I like to add cacao powder. Not only does cacao provide us with additional health benefits but it also makes the recipe just that more indulgent and tasty! You can read my blog on the benefits of cacao here.
- 50g jumbo oats (these are the larger oats- can also use smaller ones)
- 300ml plant based milk (I usually use cashew or almond)
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
- 3 heaped teaspoons of cacao/ cocoa powder
- A sprinkle of coconut flakes
- A handful of almonds
- Optional: fresh berries
- (The oats should take around 5-6 minutes to cook)
- Heat a saucepan on a medium heat and pour your milk of choice and the oats in to the pan.
- Stir every so often for 3-4 minutes then add the protein powder and the cacao powder.
- Continue to stir the porridge so that you mix in the chocolate powders to the oats, snd you will notice the mix start to thicken and bubble. Be careful not to let the mixture stick to the saucepan. (You may want to add more milk depending on your desired consistency). Continuing to stir it with a wooden spoon will prevent this.
- Pour the cooked porridge in to a bowl and top with your choice of toppings.
I love to switch it and add different toppings every time- you can see my different porridge bowls on my instagram page.