I am back with a new recipe! Popularised by the American culture – ‘peanut butter jelly’ seems to be a hit with everyone as you guys were so keen for this recipe! These muffins are totally divine as well as being a good source of protein, healthy fats and vitamins. Yes, they are a sweet treat but they are low in sugar and provide nutritional value!
Ingredients (makes 6-8 muffins)
- 2 cups of self-raising wholemeal flour
- 1/3 of a cup of coconut sugar
- 1 scoop of ThatProtein peanut butter protein
- 1 large mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 2 medium eggs (or flax seed eggs for vegan option)
- 1 1/4 cups of cashew milk
- 1/2 a cup of ground almonds
- A jar of smooth Whole Earth peanut butter – (you won’t need the whole jar- I usually use Meridian peanut butter but I have found for this recipe that whole heart spreads better!)
- 1/4 cup of crushed walnuts plus extra for decoration.
- My homemade chia seed jam (note- this is for the filling- you can also make this recipe without the jammy middle) or substitute supermarket purchased jam.
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and prepare a cupcake baking 6 lined with 6 paper muffins cases.
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. This includes the flour, sugar, ground almonds, protein powder and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and mash the banana and combine with the vanilla essence, and cashew milk. Gradually add this to the dry ingredients, mixing well with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of the Whole Earth peanut butter then mix in the crushed walnuts.
- Spoon a tablespoon of mixture into each prepared muffin case, then add a heaped teaspoon of jam on top. Then top up the muffin case with more cake mixture. This will give you your jammy filling!
- Bake in the oven for approx 18 minutes (until knife comes out clean) and allow to cool completely before topping your muffins.
- Using the Whole Earth peanut butter, spread on top of the muffins and sprinkle with a few walnuts.
- You can keep these muffins chilled in the fridge in a sealed container for 5 days.
You may also enjoy my banana and peanut butter protein bread!
Follow me on instagram to see me post recipes daily!