Hey guys! So for a bit of a change I am sharing one of my favourite lunch/dinner recipes with you, which is super easy and probably one of the most nutritious meals you can have. It is also one of my favourites because it contains a great balance of complex carbs, protein, healthy fats and lots of micronutrients. The meal is paprika salmon served on a bed of lentils with green vegetables and roasted carrots.
Salmon, being the primary source of protein in this dish, is also an excellent source of those all-important omega 3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA). These types of fatty acids have been known to reduce inflammation, support cell function and decrease risk of diseases such as heart disease. It also contains essential B vitamins as well as potassium; essential for heart health. I love topping my salmon with paprika which helps aids digestion.
For my carbs I have used puy lentils- I use Merchant Gourmet lentils because all you need to do is heat them up! Super quick and super easy 🙂 Lentils are great for stabilising blood sugar levels, good for digestive health and they’re also a good source of soluble fibre.
Finally we have our micronutrients; which are our vitamins and minerals essential to our diet. I always take dinner time as a prime opportunity to add a whole load of vegetables… with this dish I have added broccoli, asparagus and rainbow carrots. Good sources of dietary fibre, vitamin C, folic acid, potassium and other antioxidants.
So for the recipe:
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 salmon fillet
- 125g of Merchant Gourmet puy lentils
- 6 asparagus tips
- 1/2 cup og chopped broccoli
- 6 baby heritage rainbow carrots
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Wrap your salmon fillet in baking paper after sprinkling your paprika on top. Seal the ends of the baking paper by folding it over. This will take 20 minutes to cook.
- In a baking tray, cover your baby rainbow carrots in olive oil and roast in the oven for 10 minutes, turning them halfway through.
- Boil your green veg in boiling water, 5 minutes before your salmon and carrots are ready.
- I usually boil my veg for 3-4 minutes but you may prefer to boil them for more or less time.
- Pour your portion of lentils into a bowl and heat in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds.
- Remove your salmon and carrots from the oven when ready and serve up with the green veg.
Follow me on instagram to see me post recipes daily!