Hey guys! I mentioned in a few posts back that I wanted to start sharing some more savoury (lunch and dinner) recipes with you all in addition to all my healthy bakes… so here we are! I am always looking for recipe inspiration and I have recently started experimenting with HelloFresh and their Flavour Generator which is available through their website. Now I can be quite fussy with my dinners as I don’t eat meat however, I do eat fish and I am not fussy when it comes to veggie foods so I found it helpful to adapt some of their ideas…
So how do you use the recipe Flavour Generator…? EASY! Firstly, decide what type of meal you fancy- this can be: British, Mexican, Italian, Indian or Middle Eastern Food and then choose what your taste buds are telling you to! The Flavour Generator offers anything from: spicy, sweet, herby or tangy and generates a recipe based on your decision. So like I said I can be quite fussy so I often change a chicken fillet to a cod fillet or meat sausages for veggies sausages and sometimes you end up with a veggie recipe anyway! But the recipe that was generated for me today really didn’t need adapting too much at all!
Today I am going to share with you: Harissa Halloumi with Pomegranate Tabbouleh
This recipe is a well balanced meal made up of complex carbs, protein, healthy fats, veg and spices- all of which are essential to our wellbeing.
Below is the list of original ingredients- the only thing I didn’t use it the yoghurt and I also added some black beans and steamed broccoli- but this was personal preference! This recipe will serve 2 people…
- Bring a pot of water to the boil (amount specified in the ingredient list) and grate a little of the lemon zest. Pour the bulgur wheat into the boiling water and add your lemon zest and a pinch of salt. Place a lid on the pot and rest off the heat for 25 mins, or until the water has completely soaked into your wheat.
- Peel and finely chop the onion and roughly chop the parsley. Cut the tomato in half, squeeze out and discard the liquid centre and roughly chop the remaining flesh.
- Mix the yoghurt with a dash of lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper.Once your bulgur wheat is ready, add a splash of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice, your onion, tomato, two-thirds of your parsley and mix together. This is your tabbouleh.
- Slice the halloumi widthways into ½cm slices.
- Coat your halloumi with the harissa spice mix. Heat a frying pan on mediumhigh heat with a splash of olive oil. Once hot, add your halloumi and cook until just golden on each side. Tip: Don’t overcook the halloumi, it’s much better when it’s golden but slightly squidgy!
- Serve your halloumi with your tabbouleh and sprinkle the pomegranate seeds over the top with your remaining parsley. Drizzle with your yoghurt dressing and fill your boots!
I told you I would be back with more recipes… and this one is rather different and a little more ‘out there’ than you may be used to! But do not be put off by the name ‘mud balls’, because what I am referring to is Edible MUD that is extremely good for your insides! They are made with nourishing, plant based ingredients and are suitable for vegans.
Bentonite clay is aged volcanic ash. Bentonite clay has a powerful negative charge, when hydrated those negative charges readily attract positively charged toxins. Bentonite clay acts as a magnet and can assist the body in eliminating toxins from the gut. It has the ability to swell, and adsorb toxic ions, and remove them from the body.
Bentonite Clay, part of the Smectite family, can neutralise bacteria in the gut and assist in alleviating digestive issues.
Edible MUD is also high in Iron and Magnesium and can be taken for overall wellbeing.
You may be pleased to know that the MUD is flavourless- so we are literally adding this ingredient purely for its health benefits. Now something that does have flavour is blue matcha- a delicious flavour! To find blue matcha, head over to https://www.bluegreenplus.com and use code SOPHIE10 at the checkout for a 10% discount!
So, now we know these balls great for out gut, high in protein and extremely high in antioxidants due to the matcha and raw honey I have used in this recipe- here is how you make them…
Ingredients (makes 12- 16 raw balls depending on the size you make them!)
- 1 cup of ground almonds
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (I used Strippd vegan vanilla protein)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of blue matcha
- 1 teaspoon of edible MUD
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 4 teaspoons of raw honey (the darker the honey, the richer it will be in antioxidants)
- 80g of vegan white chocolate (can also use any other chocolate of your choice if preferred)
- A handful of freeze dried raspberries for decoration (optional)
- In a bowl, combine the ground almonds, protein powder and blue matcha.
- Prepare the mud in a cup with the 2 tablespoons of water and add to the dry mix bowl. Then add the raw honey and with your hands, mould the mixture into one large ball. You will really need to get your hands into the mix to make sure it is evenly combined.
- Then you can use a teaspoon to tear bits of the mix off and roll in to 12-16 separate balls depending on how big or small you want them to be- place them on baking paper.
- Place your raw balls in the fridge or freezer for 1/2 an hour to an hour. Whilst you’re waiting, you can melt the white chocolate into a bowl.
- Once chilled, you can cover your balls with the melted white chocolate (I do this using two teaspoons to get an even coverage). (This is optional) decorate the balls with freeze dried raspberries. You may also want to sprinkle some additional matcha powder on top. Then place the balls back in the fridge to chill for around 2 hours.
- Then, enjoy! These will last for around 5 days in the fridge- although mine never last that long!
Make sure you subscribe to my website and follow my instagram page to stay up to date with SHK!
Hello subscribers! I realised I haven’t posted in quite a while now but hopefully you’ve been keeping up with my instagram as I you can always see my latest foodie pics and recipes there! I decided to share my go- to pancake recipe on a blog post as it is so incredibly easy, super nutritious and high in protein! You’re probably aware from my instagram posts that breakfast is my absolute favourite meal of the day (by far) and these pancakes can also be whipped up and enjoyed for lunch too- because who doesn’t love breakfast for lunch!
So… all you need is 2 eggs, 1 banana and 1 scoop of protein powder- that’s it! You can use a protein powder of your choice but do try and make sure they do not contain lots of added sugar or harmful sweeteners.
I am not a strict vegan however, I do enjoy a plant based diet in which I also eat eggs and fish. I do not eat animal meat therefore always opt for vegan protein powders- but like I said, any protein powder of your choice will work for this recipe!
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 mashed banana (preferably ripe)
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- coconut oil for greasing the pan (can also use alternative oils to suit preference)
- Greek yoghurt
- Mixed berries
- (Or whatever else you fancy!)
- In a bowl, mash the banana and whisk together with the 2 eggs. When the mix is smooth, add in your scoop of protein powder. You may want to whisk your mixture for a smoother finish however, I like it a little bit chunky!
- Heat a pan over the heat adding 1 tablespoon of your choice of oil- alternatively I use a coconut oil spray.
- Pour on 2 tablespoons of mixture to form 1 pancake- depending on big your pan is you may be able to do 2 or 3 at a time. When you see the pancake start to bubble slightly, flip it over to the other side.
- You may need a little extra oil for the pan in-between cooking the pancakes.
- Place the pancakes on a plate and enjoy with your favourite toppings!
Topping ideas: Nut butter, fresh berries, greek yoghurt, mixed seeds/ nuts, chia seed jam, chocolate spread
You can see from my pictures that I love to enjoy my pancakes with greek yoghurt, nuts and berries!
You may also like my vegan berry pancakes or my buckwheat pancakes.
Remember to follow my instagram page to stay up to date with SHK!