Sorry it’s been a while… Living in LA for 3 months didn’t leave me a lot of time to develop new recipes let alone blog about them. However, I am back with a new and simple recipe that’s difficult not to love- (vegan) blueberry and raspberry chia seed jam! It’s easy to make, super quick, and you can store it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. And of course; it’s deliciously healthy!
Chia seed nutritional value and health benefits
- High in omega 3 and an excellent source of fibre.
- Provides a great source of protein, calcium, manganese, magnesium and phosphorus.
- Also contains potassium, zinc and vitamins B1, 2 and 3.
- Studies have shown that chia seeds can help to improve type 2 diabetes.
- Chia seeds can improve bone health due to the high amounts of calcium they provide- this is important for individuals who do not eat dairy.
- 1/2 a cup of frozen blueberries
- 1/2 a cup of frozen raspberries
- 3 tablespoons of organic agave
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of organic chia seeds
- Begin by placing the frozen berries and agave nectar in a saucepan on a medium heat.
- Stir gently and you will see the berries start to break down and become syrupy. Mix in the chia and stir occasionally for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- You will see the mixture begin to thicken- once this happens, remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the jam into a jar and leave in the fridge for an hour before serving. This will last up to two weeks in the fridge.
This is my go to ‘scoop of nutrition’ as not only is it delicious but it’s super easy to eat… It’s great on toast, mixed in a smoothie, perfect to stir in to porridge and yummy to pair with peanut butter!