Hi guyss! I am currently writing from the West Coast of America and have been travelling around a lot for the past 6 weeks so really haven’t had time to blog anything! However, I haven’t been eating the most deliciously healthy vegan food over here- so many yummy cafe’s and restaurants that are plant-based only.
For the past week I’ve been staying in San Diego, so took the opportunity to go and buy some of my favourite plant based ingredients and develop a new ‘sweet treat’ recipe… Today I give you- vegan tropical matcha bars! They are extremely high in antioxidants due to the pure green tea powder I used and the freshly squeezed oranges that I picked fresh from the orange tree in the garden of the villa I am currently staying in!
Ingredients (makes 8 vegan bars)
- 1/2 a cup of almond flour
- 1/2 a cup of desiccated coconut
- 1/4 of a cup of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of green tea matcha powder
- 1 fresh orange for 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed juice
- 100g of 85% dark vegan chocolate
- In a bowl, combine the almond flour and desiccated coconut and then add the coconut oil (which should be slightly melted). Add the tablespoon of milk.
- Add the matcha-powder, then the freshly squeeze juice from the orange. You may find it easier to use your hands to mould the mixture into one large ball to make sure it is all combined.
- You can now begin to break off the mix to form 8 individual bars. Once moulded, place them on baking paper and leave to cool and harden in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Once the bars have hardened, melt the dark chocolate and cover the bars as you wish- I did half of the treats fully covered in the chocolate and just zig-zagged the rest over (see pictures).
- Place them back in the freezer for an additional hour. Then enjoy!
These bars are the perfect combination of matcha and coconut with a zesty twist! To keep up with more recipes and delicious plant based meals, follow SHK on instagram.