Happy Sunday guys! You may or may not have noticed how much I love making healthy snack recipes… If you look on the recipes page you will see that there are significantly more recipes than anything else! So I have made more of an effort to start developing some healthy (and vegan) breakfast recipes for you guys (as it is the most important meal of the day!) and is actually my favourite meal of the day!
So berries are great for breakfast as they are lovely and refreshing and are packed with antioxidants. However, being that we live in the UK, it is rarely berry season so I like to store frozen berries in the freezer as they work great if you’re making any kind of dessert of breakfast. I also add frozen berries to my banana nice-cream.
Fresh or frozen berries will add more delicious flavour and added antioxidants. Frozen berries have just as much (if not more) nutritional value as fresh ones do. Freezing fresh berries is a successful way of preserving their nutrients and phytochemicals.
Ingredients (makes 6 bars)
1/2 a cup of coconut flour
3/4 of a cup of steel cut oats
3 teaspoons of cashew butter (I use meridian)
1/4 of a cup of pure maple syrup (can also use agave)
1/4 of a cup of unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 cup of mixed frozen berries (or berry of your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a baking dish with baking paper. I used a 4×4 inch.
- In a bowl, mix together the oats and coconut flour.
- In a saucepan, combine the maple syrup, coconut oil, cashew butter, almond milk and vanilla extract and bring to a low heat until all ingredients is melted and combined.
- Add the melted mix from the saucepan, to the bowl of oats and coconut flour. Mix until all ingredients is combined. (See picture above)
- In your prepared baking dish, use half of the mixture and mould it to cover the bottom of the dish. Add your frozen berries on top of this, and then cover the berries with the rest of the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 24 minutes. Leave to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from the dish. Allow to cool for another 20 minutes and then slice into 6 bars.
These bars are made with 100% plant based ingredients and are sooo delicious! I wouldn’t know how long they last as I have a big family and they were eaten in minutes! But I would recommend keeping them in a sealed container in the fridge so they stay moist!
For more of my breakfast recipes you can check out my recipes page or keep up to date via my instagram page.