Here we go- one of my most delicious creations… Raw, vegan lemon and coconut truffles! These two flavours are my FAVOURITE! They are just so indulgent yet so refreshing together and, thanks to the fresh lemons, are an amazing source of antioxidants!
- Lemons are rich in vitamin C and other antioxidants
- They support a healthy functioning immune system
- They are great for skin health
- They’re also a source of potassium and can help lower blood pressure levels
Ingredients (makes 14-16)
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1/2 a cup of ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 of a cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 fresh lemon (unwaxed) – for juice and zest
- 150g of vegan dark chocolate
- In a bowl, mix together the desiccated coconut and ground almonds. Then add the coconut milk.
- Stir in the honey and the melted coconut oil, so that the mixture starts to stick together more. Then add the vanilla essence.
- Grate the lemon for its zest and set aside for decoration. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice from one side. At this point you may find it easier to use your hands and start moulding the mixture into a ball. For an intense zesty flavour, you can squeeze the rest of the lemon-juice into the mixture (like I did).
- You can then start to roll the mixture into individual raw balls. Depending on how much lemon juice you used in the mix, you may need to wet your hands to mould the balls so they stay together.
- Place the truffles on a plate on baking paper and leave to harden in the fridge for about half an hour.
- Whilst the truffles are cooling, you can melt the dark chocolate into a bowl.
- You can either melt it in a saucepan, or by placing it in a bowl over boiling water.
- Take the raw truffle balls, and dip them in the melted chocolate until they are covered completely. This is easy to do if you juggle the ball between two teaspoons, gently covering them, and then placing back on the baking paper. You can then sprinkle the lemon zest (saved from earlier) on top of the vegan dark chocolate covered truffles.
- Leave to cool in the fridge for an hour and enjoy! These will stay fresh for upto 5 days. Keep refrigerated.
These vegan coconut and lemon truffles are probably my favourite snack to make in batches and keep in the fridge as a healthy treat! They sweet, zesty and sooo satisfying!
I hope you try and love the recipe as much as I do!