So you probably know that throwing together healthy ingredients into a bowl and seeing what I come up with, is one of the ways I just love to experiment in order to develop new recipes… And when it comes to my raw balls– this method comes in handy. This is because in order to roll these balls into something delicious, you need to achieve the right consistency; and what better way to do that than to keep adding and experimenting with different plant based ingredients, right?
At Christmas time, around the time I started this blog, I shared with you guys some raw chocolate pudding balls, however they were a little too festive for this time of year so I thought I would work on a new recipe- inspired by the last one, to give you these indulgent, yet healthy truffles.
These raw cacao truffles are vegan, and you can add or takeaway different spices depending on your taste buds… I just used cinnamon however you may want to add nutmeg, or take away the spices all together! I used raw cacao powder for an intense chocolate flavour, and its antioxidant properties- you can see my blog post about the health benefits of this here.
Ingredients (makes 14-16)
- 12 medjool dates (remove stones)
- 1 cup of ground almonds
- 1/4 raw cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons of almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut to roll the balls in (optional)
- Cut up the dates as small as you can (easy with a sharp knife) and remove the stones from the middle of them.
- In a bowl, mix the dates in with the ground almonds, and then add the cacao. Add the 3 tablespoons of almond milk, and beat together with a spoon. You may find this easier to do with your hands. Keep folding and pressing the ingredients together, until it all starts to stick consistently.
- Add the cinnamon, and press the mixture into a large ball.
- You can then tear off bits of the mix, to roll 14-16 vegan balls (depending on the size you roll them).
- Once you have rolled the raw balls, roll them into the desiccated coconut, then leave in the fridge to cool for unto 2 hours.
- Keep these chilled, and enjoy them through the week! They will last up to 5 days.