So I have recently treated myself to some of Pure Chimp’s matcha powder. It’s a little pricey but I say, it is totally worth it! I enjoy green tea daily so just love the flavour of pure matcha. Aside from this, it is absolutely packed with nutritious health benefits. As you know, I always seek out the most wholesome, (vegan) organic ingredients I can find and I just love discovering new ingredients that I can play around with and incorporate into my vegan recipes. I love developing new healthy snacks and raw-balls are probably one of my favourite things to make! There is just so much to play around with and so many healthy plant-based flavours to mix up. These types of vegan snacks are also so great for keeping in the fridge to eat and snack on throughout the week- and you can make them so healthy and nutritious, which is exactly the type of things you want to be snacking on- so they’re perfect!
So what exactly is matcha-green-tea-powder? It is pure green tea leaves, ground into a fine powder, so you’re getting the purest form of this antioxidant substance. It is a naturally detoxing product that is also thought to speed up your metabolism. As well as its powerful anti-oxidising properties, it also contains high levels of vitamin C, zinc and magnesium. I have also found that it gives me more energy; so I have been mixing a teaspoon into my soy latte’s before I hit the gym!
So today I got back in the kitchen and tried using the product differently, and decided to incorporate it into one of my ‘raw balls’ recipes. You have probably noticed on my recipes page that I love making these kinds of healthy vegan snacks. Not only are they made with nourishing ingredients, but they are awesome for sharing and snacking on through the week. The snacks I make are a great source of energy, so I find them great little treats to have before a workout too! So I love matcha and coconut and thought- why not try the two flavours together to give you matcha and coconut vegan balls. This recipe I have developed makes 8. It is super easy, and you only need 5 ingredients!
- 3/4 cup of coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons of organic agave
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon of matcha powder
- 80g of 90% dark chocolate
- In a bowl, mix the agave and coconut oil with the coconut flour, until you reach a paste like consistency.
- Add the desiccated coconut in, and then add the matcha powder. Keep folding the mixture, until it is all mixed in together. You should then find it starts to stick together and yo can start to tear off bits of the mixture, to start rolling into balls.
- This will allow you to make about 8 raw balls.
- Leave these on baking paper in the fridge fro an hour.
- Once the balls have been cooled in the fridge, melt the 90% dark chocolate. Then cover each of the balls and place back in the fridge for up to 2 hours.
- Then enjoy!
What is great about these, is that you can keep them refrigerated for up to 5 days, so if you do not want to share them you can keep them to yourself and enjoy these vegan treats throughout the week ;). These raw vegan balls are so simple yet so nutritious. I always think it is really great when you find a recipe that is so healthy with the added bonus of being quick and easy to make. They are also suitable for most diet types- especially plant-based vegan. They contain absolutely no refined or processed ingredients- just pure wholesome and organic. I really enjoyed using this product for something other than fixing into a cup tea or a smoothie. It also adds a great colour to the recipe and we all associate the colour ‘green’ with healthy foods so I thought it was the perfect fit! I hope you enjoy my coconut and matcha snacks!