Back again! And with a new healthy recipe! It has been a while since I actually baked because I’ve been making so many ‘snacky’ things at the moment, like my deliciously healthy raw balls; but as it’s Sunday and I had a bit more time to spare, I decided to get baking! I’ve developed this recipe using spelt flour– making the bread easy to digest. It is low in fat and contains good sources of protein, fibre, Vitamin B and minerals. It also contains high levels of manganese and phosphorus.
So to make this bread even more nutritious- I added plenty of antioxidants with fresh blueberries and raspberries. I also topped the bread with pumpkin seeds (you can read the health benefits here). This vegan loaf makes a great breakfast bread and/or is perfect to keep for up to 5 days for a healthy snack!
- 2 cups of spelt flour
- 1/4 of a cup of coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 1/2cups of almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1 mashed banana (ripe)
- 1/2 cup of fresh raspberries (mashed)
- 1 handful of pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and grease a 1lb loaf tin with coconut oil.
- In a bowl, combine the spelt flour, coconut sugar and baking powder.
- Add the soya milk, half a cup at a time, mixing in gently. Do the same with the soya milk, making sure all the flour is mixed in, achieving a smooth mix. You can do this with an electric whisk but I like to use a wooden spoon. Then add the coconut oil and mashed banana- stir in well.
- Add the cup of blueberries, and stir gently into the mixture.
- Pour the mix into the prepared loaf tin.
- In a cup, mash the fresh raspberries well, and drizzle along the top of the bread. Then sprinkle on the pumpkin seeds.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour (until knife comes out clean).
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the tin. Then enjoy!
Tip: Keep this bread in tupperware to keep it nice and moist throughout the week.