I Love pancakes! I love the taste, the texture, the flavours you can put into them- and, it makes me feel a bit like a kid again! Making them was always so exciting when we were little because they were supposed to be a treat. But what if we made them just a little bit healthier… Take out all the processed ingredients- and replaced them with organic plant-based ingredient? That would make them A LOT more healthy right?! So that’s what I have done- developed a vegan recipe that includes no refined sugars and has nutritional value. The recipe that I have developed requires only a small amount of dark brown sugar that has not been refined like the white version has.
So, I’ve been trying out different vegan pancake recipes and this one (so far), is the most delicious! These are definitely a healthy version of traditional pancakes as they contain no refined sugars and are made up using organic plant-based ingredients. I also added fruit into the mixture for added nutrition and a naturally sweet taste…
Ingredients (makes 6-8 small ones)
- 2 cups of wholewheat flour
- 1 cup of soya milk
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of mashed berries, and extra for topping (I used blackberries)
- In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Gradually add the soya milk and the coconut oil. Stir in the oil and be sure not to over mix.
- Gently fold in the mashed berries, and leave the mixture for 5-10 minutes… This way you will have a ‘fluffier’ pancake mix.
- Heat a saucepan, and use coconut oil to grease the pan. Spoon on a small amount of mixture (depending on how big you want your pancake) and allow to cook on each side. Once the pancake is cooked, transfer it to a plate and repeat with the rest of the mixture until you have a pile of vegan berry pancakes. Top with extra berries and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this delicious vegan alternative and I am sure I will be working on similar recipes soon!