After stocking up on juicy blackberries that I included in a fruit salad, I had quite a lot left over. Having not baked with blackberries before I decided to have a go at using them to make some cupcakes. As always I used plant-based ingredients (making these deliciously nutritious cupcakes vegan)! The method is very simple, and the healthiest version of a cupcake recipe.
Ingredients (makes 12)
- 3 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1 cup of soya milk
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence
- 150g of blackberries
For the icing
- 3-4 cups of icing sugar (depending on desired consistency)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of coconut milk
- 4 mashed blackberries (or blackberry jam)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line 12 cupcake cases in a cupcake tin.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, dark brown sugar, baking powder).
- In a separate bowl, mix the soya milk, coconut milk and vanilla essence.
- Gradually pour the wet mixture into the dry mix bowl and stir until combined.
- Mash up 100g of blackberries and gently stir into the mixture.
- Distribute the mixture evenly between the 12 prepared cupcake cases.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
For the icing
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients, adding the icing sugar until you reach desired consistency.
- Using a teaspoon, spoon the icing on to the cupcakes and top with any leftover blackberries.