Continuing with the Christmas inspired recipes- here we have a vegan vanilla and pomegranate cake with coconut icing and Christmassy decor. I always have so much fun developing recipes like this as I can work off my previous recipes whilst making improvements. This turned out deliciously and will serve 10-12.
- 4 cups of wholewheat self-raising flour (you can use white if you prefer)
- 2 cups of dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups of soya milk
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla paste
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of pomegranate (plus extra for decorating)
For the icing
- 4 cups of icing sugar
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- Mint leaves (or any little green leaves to use for decorating)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line 2 cake tins with coconut oil.
- In a bowl, combine the wholewheat flour, dark brown sugar and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix the coconut oil, coconut milk, soya milk, apple cider vinegar, vanilla essence and vanilla paste.
- Pour the wet mixture into the bowl with the dry mix, and whisk (or stir throughly with a wooden spoon) until combined.
- Pour half in mixture into one of the prepared cake tins.
- Stir the pomegranates into the mixture left in the bowl and pour into the second prepared cake tin.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from their tins.
For the icing
- Mix the coconut milk in a bowl, adding the icing sugar until you reach desired consistency.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, cover the top of one of the cakes in icing, and place the second cake on top. Ice and decorate the cake as you wish.