Bananas and blueberries- two fruits that may have more nutritional value over any other fruits! We know that all fruits are good for us, but these two in particular possess significant health benefits, and they just so happen to go perfectly together! I’m sure there are a load of different banana bread recipes out there, but I decided to develop a banana bread recipe that was, 1- a vegan recipe (using only plant-based ingredients), and 2- had extra nutritional value by adding blueberries.
- Bananas are rich in potassium- an essential vitamin that aids a healthy functioning heart.
- They are high in fibre and can relive heart burn symptoms and help indigestion.
- They make you happy! Bananas contain compounds that provide the body with natural energy as well as increasing levels of serotonin which lessen stress and anxiety.
- They are also high in vitamins such as vitamin C, vitamin B6 and magnesium.
You can check out more health benefits for bananas and blueberries on my ‘food for thought’ post.
- 1 cup of whole wheat self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 cups of spelt flour
- 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1 1/2 cups of blueberries
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of crushed walnuts
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and grease a 1lb loaf tin.
- In a bowl, mash 3 bananas and combine with the sugar and coconut oil (this can be done with a fork or in a blender).
- In a sperate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and coconut milk. Then add the banana mix and whisk until combined.
- Pour half the mixture into the prepare loaf tin and pour in 1 cup of blueberries.
- Pour the rest of the mixture on top of the blueberries. Sprinkle the crushed walnuts on top.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing the loaf from the tin.