Lemon cake is one my favourite cakes, and if it hasn’t become apparent at this point- I also love coconut! So I started playing around with ingredients, combing these two delicious flavours, to whip up this vegan lemon and coconut loaf. It’s a very easy recipe and lovely light snack with a sweet zesty taste.
I used two lemons for this recipe as it provides quite a few health benefits…
- Lemons are rich in vitamin C and other antioxidants
- They support a healthy functioning immune system
- They are great for skin health
- They’re also a source of potassium and can help lower blood pressure levels
- 1 3/4 cups of whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1/2 of coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cups of coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 2 1/2 cups of icing sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon and grated zest
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius and grease a 1lb loaf tin.
- Combine the whole wheat flour with the sugar and baking powder.
- Add the coconut oil, coconut milk and lemon juice to the dry mixture and mix until blended.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing the loaf from the tin.
- Allow loaf to cool completely before icing.
For lemon and coconut icing
- Beat together the coconut oil, lemon juice and grated zest.
- Start adding the icing sugar until you reach desired consistency.
- Spread the icing over the completely cooled loaf.